Video Bar

Loading...

Thursday 25 February 2010

Radioactive

I've had a busy but good day (with the MRI liver news).

I started with a nuclear heart scan (MUGA) and kidney test (EDTA) which lasted from 9am to 2:30pm (Only 20 minutes in a scanner but prep and repeated blood tests).  Whilst all this was going on I fitted in a visit to the psychologist with Kitten to talk about how we help the children through this difficult period (more on that another time).

I then had a dash into Central London to the Fulham Road Marsden for a prep op assessment.  Thanks to SuperSal for the lift to the tube as I was running late from one appointment to another (thanks also to our local French auditor for the lift in his monster truck this morning).  If only all NHS hospitals were like the Marsden.  It's amazing what money can do when it is used wisely.  Oh, and thanks to all of you for paying your taxes all these years - one of us had to reap the benefits :-)

My case nurse has been a star in linking together all the appointments for me.

By the time I got back I was cream crackered. I never new that lounging around having needles stuck into you could be so tiring.

Strangely though the only time recently that I have felt this tired was last Friday and on both days I have had tests which have involved the injection of radioactive dyes.  I am not allowed to sit with the children for the rest of the day and it brings to mind the Jack Nicholson line from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
   "The next woman who takes me on is gonna light up like a pinball machine and pay out in silver dollars"

Off to the Wales vs France rugby tomorrow with Notoplip and meeting in Cardiff with family members Lady Dai, Mrs Stockholm and the Serious Barman (there you go, I have christened you and you know who you are).  It will be good to have a bit of normality though I guess that it won't be a night of beer and Jack Daniels.

Oh well, you can't have everything and I give thanks to my liver for being such a trusty companion over the years.

2 comments:

  1. I work with Pam at Miller. My husband was dianosed with cancer of the oesophagus on 12th June last year. I can now see the light at the end of what seemed a very long tunnel (he finishes the last of his chemo tablets on 11th March).

    I wish you and you family all the very best for the long journey ahead and if you need to know anything at all or if we can be of any assitance to you please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. annstonefamily, thank you for the for the kind words and I will be sure to get in touch.

    I'm under no illusions as to how difficult a journey this will be, so any advice I can get from a family that has been through it already will be extremely helpful.

    I wish your husband a full and speedy recovery and happier times ahead for your family.

    The thought of being where you are now (i.e. with the finishing post coming into view) is where I would like to be!

    ReplyDelete